Monday, October 27, 2008

My depravity

Psalm 51:1-6
1Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love;according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. 2Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 3For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. 5Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. 6Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

What an amazing prayer of repentance by David! The really cool thing that captures me in this passage is his understanding of his sinful nature in verse 5 - "I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." For me, knowing my depravity, makes me all the more rely on our Sovereign Lord.

Lord, I pray, help us to see how depraved our hearts and minds are, and help us to focus on the cure - You! You are our strength and our fortress. Comfort us in these desperate times. Thank you for your Holy Spirit who guides us. In Christ's name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason,

David didn't need Romans 1 to know he was depraved from day 1! I love that.

I often will pray this Psalm when I am knee deep in sin and I am always comforted by David's plea to God's great compassion and not his own.

Great post, how badly we need it in our times.